Blog#2: Learning Design II

A learning environment that emphasizes experiential learning encourages students to be actively engaged with the lesson (Bradford 90). Advantages of this approach to learning include the development of a deeper understanding due to hands-on exercises and a greater level of personal learning due to emotional and behavioral involvement in the lesson or activity. Experiential learning also promotes enhanced development of skills because learners can practice their skills in multiple activities, and students can reflect on their learning (Bradford, 2018, p. 90).

In respect to teaching students about Chinese food acceptance, experiential learning may have some benefits. An experiential learning environment would allow students to experience what is involved in the preparation of Chinese dishes by handling the ingredients and following the steps of a recipe. Additionally, students would be able to experience smells and tastes of new flavors and ingredients, and they may be able to learn how to use chopsticks, as well.

However, there are some shortcomings to using an experiential learning environment for this topic. If students are focused on cooking and tasting, they may not be as focused on learning about the history of the food that they are interacting with. They may have negative emotions if they do not feel like they are doing a good job at the activity, which can hinder learning.

Merits of an experiential learning environment for addressing the acceptance of Chinese food would include the ability of students to personally prepare, smell, and taste the unique dishes that may be unfamiliar to them. This approach could then allow them to discuss their experience and appreciate the food more than if they were to buy it at a restaurant or see it on TV, which may promote meaningful growth. It is important for the instructor to supplement these merits by providing a proper introduction or a debriefing period to allow students to fully grasp the history, variety, and benefits of Chinese food that may otherwise not be mentioned during the cooking process.

Bradford, D.L. (2018). Ethical issues in experiential learning. Journal of Management Education 43(1), 89-98.

Comment

Hello Xiangbo, I like your blog because I also choose Experiential Learning. The topic of our learning pod is Chinese food. Experiential learning will help students better understand what Chinese food is like and what it tastes like. Instead of just telling them what Chinese food is really like, it’s hard for them to think about it. So I quite agree more with you. Thank you!

Philip Reason October 30, 2021 Reply

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information.
I’m happy that you shared this useful information with us.

Please keep us informed like this.
Thank you for sharing.

ruobingbai November 26, 2021 Reply

Hi, Chloe. I like your blog. You made experiential learning to our blueprint. For example, letting students experience the new flavour of the ingredients and how to use chopsticks experience. I agree with what you said about the disadvantage of experiential learning students focusing on food and taste. They will have limitations, not to get to know more about the history of food. Once the ingredients are botched, there will be negative emotions that affect them. Thank you for sharing.

yixuanzhang November 27, 2021 Reply

Hello Chloe,

I quite agree with this view. I think through personal experience, students can learn more, and according to everyone’s unique understanding, coupled with the communication between students, students can obtain more expanded knowledge. And personal experience will make students more interested in the knowledge they have learned and remember it more firmly.

runyisong November 29, 2021 Reply

Hello Chloe!
I agree with you about the use of experimental learning in Chinese food. Your topic is not just theoretical knowledge, it needs to be practiced by students to be better understood. The best way to learn this course is to combine theory and practice so that students can learn about the history of Chinese food and then practice to achieve their learning goals.