Blog#4: Interaction

1. What kind of interaction would the video require from your students? Does it force them to respond in some way (inherent)?

The kind of interaction that the chosen video, What is learning design?, would require from my students is interaction with the learning materials through computer technology. It does not necessarily force them to respond in some way, since the video involves an instructor explaining concepts to the students that are passively observing. As such, the video clip is observable in the sense that it assists in memory and comprehension, and it is reflective in the sense that it does not require any overt actions (Bates, 2019). This is applicable to the context of my subject area in that it can be a helpful tool to understand how students learn independently.

2. In what way are they likely to respond to the video on their own, e.g. make notes, do an activity, think about the topic (learner-generated)?

Students are likely to respond to the video on their own in such a way that they will take notes on the information that is being transmitted to them. For example, they may take notes about the conceptual basis of the integrated learning design paradigm. This includes the concept of personas, by which students develop representations of target audiences (Open Education Europa, 2014). This can also compel students to think about the new topics that they are being introduced to.

3. What activity could you suggest that they do, after they have watched the video (designed)? What type of knowledge or skill would that activity help develop? What medium or technology would students use to do the activity?

An activity that I could suggest the students do after they have watched the video is to imagine themselves as a marketer or instructor and create their own personas to target. The type of knowledge or skill that such an activity would help develop is critical thinking and analysis. The medium or technology that students would use to do the activity is computer technology through a desktop computer or smartphone to easily document and save their ideas.

4. How would students get feedback on the activity that you set? What medium or technology would they and/or you use for getting and giving feedback on their activity?

Students would get feedback on the activity that I set by receiving messages containing my assessment of their persona construction and comprehension of concepts. The medium or technology that they and I would use for getting and giving feedback on their activity is computer technology through the use of email on a desktop computer or smartphone.

Bates, A. W. (2019). Teaching in a digital age. Tony Bates Associates Ltd.

Open Education Europa. (2014, January 9). What is learning design?. YouTube.

Comment

Hello Runyi, this is Chloe. I like your blog. You wrote about tea varieties in China in your blog, and my group project is about Chinese food. I think they are very similar. A lot of the information on your blog has been very helpful to me and I think I can learn a lot of useful things from your blog. Thank you!

ruobingbai November 26, 2021 Reply

Hi, Chloe. I like your blog. You explain these issues clearly. I agree with you that one activity that students are advised to do after watching the video is to imagine themselves as a marketer or lecturer and create their characters based on the goals. The knowledge or skills that this activity helps to develop are critical thinking and analysis. And the medium of technology that students use to do this activity is computer technology, easily recording and saving their thoughts via desktop computers or smartphones.